So today is my best friend Darlene's birthday. We've literally been best friend for almost 28 years now...which is REALLY hard to believe. My mom and her mom were really good friends. Our families hung out all the time. We went to each other's houses. We hung out at parks. We saw each other at church. I think when I was right around five years old Darlene and her family moved about 30 miles away. That didn't stop our friendship. We would still see each other during school breaks, summers, weekends, etc. When we were pre-teens and through out our teenage years, we would write each other letters. During the summer we would go to their house to swim in their community pool. I would spend days at their house. We would walk to Target to stock up on sugar. We would sit at the piano and play songs. We would sit in her room upstairs planning our weddings, talk about boys, etc. The summer that I went to BYU Darlene moved to Provo and lived with her aunt. We saw each other a few times in the summer. Then I went to Ricks. We still talked. My second year at Ricks once I had my car I would drive down for some weekends and we would hang out. After that we didn't see each other as much. I went on my mission, came home, got married, moved to Fresno. Darlene stayed in Provo. But our friendship never stopped. We could go without talking for awhile and pick things right back up when we talked. Now she's married and has a handsome baby boy. It's hard to believe that we're as old as we are. But I'm thankful for her friendship. She's my best friend and she's one of my sisters. Happy Birthday Darlene! Wish I was there to celebrate it with you!! I LOVE YOU!!!





No comments:
Post a Comment