16 May 2009

My Review of Angels & Demons

I love Dan Brown books. I've read most of them. I've read Angels and Demons and The DaVinci Code at least three times each. I love these books. I enjoyed Angels and Demons even more than The DaVinci Code because of how suspenseful it was and how I couldn't put the book down until I got to the end.

So I was SUPER excited when I heard they were going to make a movie of Angels and Demons. Both Kevin and I have been looking forward to it since we first saw the previews months ago. So for Kevin's birthday I decided to surprise him by taking him to see Angels and Demons (for those of you who really know me and how I stay away from crowds...it is big of me to want to see a movie the day it comes out in theaters).

We sat down with our soda and popcorn and waited for the movie to begin. From the first scene of the movie I discovered that there were already drast differences from the book. As the movie went on I noted the similarities but noticed even more the discrepencies. For those who didn't read the book they probably would really enjoy the movie.

The book was really suspenseful...which the movie lacked. Two major characters were omitted in the movie. The movie took away fromthe relationship between Vittoria and Robert Langton in the book.

But what really turned me off was the big twist at the end of the book wasn't even revealed in the movie! And I don't understand WHY it was left out!

But I will give the screenwriters some credit here. There is A LOT of details and information in the book that it would make it hard to put it all on screen. But there were some blantant differences which could have been implemented easily in the different scenes.

So my review in a nutshell: This movie is great if you didn't read the book, but can be very distracting if you did read the book. We'll definately buy it when it comes out on DVD...but I will still take the time to read the book to really enjoy it's breadth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quote of the Week

"We are often left to work out problems, without the dictation or specific direction of the Spirit. That is part of the experience we must have in mortality. Fortunately, we are never out of the Savior's sight, and if our judgement leads us to actions beyond the limits of what is permissible and if we are listening to the still small voice, the Lord will restrain us by the promptings of His Spirit." - Elder Dallin H. Oaks

"We don't have to be perfect today. We don't have to be better than someone else. All we have to do is to be the very best we can." - Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin