10 May 2009

The curse is broken

Usually I have dreaded Mother's Day...especially for the last four years. I still remember Mother's Day four years ago. I had been about 9 days late on my period and I thought that I could be pregnant. Mother's Day morning I got my period. Then I went to church and instead of having all women over 18 stand for their gift, they only asked the mothers to stand. For the next three years I skipped Sacrament Meeting altogether on Mother's Day. I was planning on skipping Sacrament Meeting today but then a really good friend of mine was speaking so I decided to go. I went in with the willpower to not get down on myself for our inability to start a family. I sat with my friend's family and that was great. I even was given the opportunity to hold one of their three-week old babies. That helps distract me from my normal thoughts on this day. So it was a good day! I think it also helps that I've come more to terms with our situation now and can deal with it better than I was at the beginning of this year.

There was a quote that was given twice today that I need to adopt into my every fiber. In a conference talk Sheri Dew said: "Motherhood is more than bearing children, though it is certainly that. It is the essence of who we are as women. It defines our very identity, our divine stature and nature, and the unique traits our Father gave us." She also said: "For reasons known to the Lord, some women are required to wait to have children. This delay is not easy for any righteous woman. But the Lord’s timetable for each of us does not negate our nature. Some of us, then, must simply find other ways to mother. And all around us are those who need to be loved and led." - AMEN and AMEN!!!!!!!

6 comments:

Dione said...

Wonderful quote! The couple that spoke in our Sacrament meeting yesterday shared their wonderful story of infertility and adoption.

As you can imagine, it was a wonderful meeting full of heartache and happy, grateful tears.

After years of not being able to conceive they tried adoption, but were never chosen. She said she thought maybe she would never have an opportunity to be a mother here on earth.

She had put off adoption through foster care but finally accepted that she knew this was the path Heavenly Father wanted her to pursue.

They became foster parents of a darling 9 month old baby girl. Through trials and uncertanty, and even loosing her for a short time back to the biological mother, they were finally able to adopt her.

Right before the adoption was finalized they learned that there had been a mistake with their adoption papers and all those years their file had never been shown - so it was put into circulation and shortly they were chosen to adopt a little girl who was due to be born soon.

Just after both daughters were adopted they learned that the mother of the first daughter was pregnant again and the state would immediately remove the child. They were given the choice to adopt another little girl. . .

So, now they are the parents of three adorable girls ages 3, 2 and 1! They are overwhelmed and happy!

But in her talk yesterday she talked about how painful Mother's Day was for her and that she finally stopped going to church. She thought they should call it "Women's Day" instead of Mother's Day.

So your feelings are justified and you are not alone! I would suspect you will not be motherless for long. I want you to know that from what I do know of you, you are one of the most nurturing women I have ever known.

Happy Women's Day!

Connie said...

Cindy, you are one of the best mothers I know. You truly love those kids in Nursery- you aren't just trying to get through it like so many others do. Don't EVER feel like you aren't honored on Mother's Day. Love ya!
PS. Kevin will be missed in Nursery, but I'm glad he'll get to go to class now.

Dione said...

Sorry about that novel up there! I just wanted to share this other blog with you - http://allthingsuplifting.blogspot.com/

Cindy Thomas Munksgard said...

Thanks Dione and Connie for your comments! You both made my day!

heather said...

Your friend Dione sent me here to read this post. Thank you for the quote. AND I think "the curse" might be broken for me too. I completely ditched ALL of church -and still very happy with that choice, but I did have a good day, and when my friend invited me to hold her newborn I was able to do so.

Emily said...

I used to hate mother's day too. I was thinking about you Sunday and I'm glad you had a good day! You're beautiful!

Post a Comment

Quote of the Week

"We are often left to work out problems, without the dictation or specific direction of the Spirit. That is part of the experience we must have in mortality. Fortunately, we are never out of the Savior's sight, and if our judgement leads us to actions beyond the limits of what is permissible and if we are listening to the still small voice, the Lord will restrain us by the promptings of His Spirit." - Elder Dallin H. Oaks

"We don't have to be perfect today. We don't have to be better than someone else. All we have to do is to be the very best we can." - Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin