14 September 2010

Whoa...take a step back

This weekend I was trying to find something new to watch on Netflix - something I could watch instantly. For awhile I've seen Grey's Anatomy available but chose not to watch it...until this weekend. And pretty soon I got hooked.

I posted on Facebook that I got hooked to this show and a friend of mine commented and said "Give it up." And I had to take a step back and think about what I've watched...and I realized it's pretty questionable - does not conform to any of my moral beliefs.

So I've removed it from my queues and will forget about watching it.

But it's hard to believe that I would allow myself to sit and watch something like that and not turn in off. Several General Authorities have advised us to be mindful of what we watch on TV...and to not make any excuses or say..."but this part's good." And here I go and watch it. Makes me think of what else I shouldn't be watching. I've censored my life from not watching the news and from listening to only Church stuff in my car - so why is okay for me to watch these questionable shows that only cloud my belief system.

Wow. So thanks my friend who pointed this out to me. Lesson learned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quote of the Week

"We are often left to work out problems, without the dictation or specific direction of the Spirit. That is part of the experience we must have in mortality. Fortunately, we are never out of the Savior's sight, and if our judgement leads us to actions beyond the limits of what is permissible and if we are listening to the still small voice, the Lord will restrain us by the promptings of His Spirit." - Elder Dallin H. Oaks

"We don't have to be perfect today. We don't have to be better than someone else. All we have to do is to be the very best we can." - Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin