17 August 2010

First Dust Storm of the Year!

After Kevin picked me up from the light rail station we noted the dark clouds in the direction of our house. We knew that would mean we would be getting a monsoon storm. When Kevin dropped me off at my car it started sprinkling and you could definately tell the storm was headed our way.

As I was driving from the 60 to the 202 I saw some dust and then saw a full on dust storm. We haven't had any dust storms yet this year so I was excited. Then I saw break lights in front of me and saw some cars pulling over. The dust was getting pretty thick.

I got off the freeway on my exit and saw more dust. As I was approaching the next intersection I saw a truck turning left. As it turned the wind blew its load into the intersection - a set of patio furniture. Kevin was the car in front of me - it happened in front of him. Luckily he saw it in time. The truck kept on driving oblivious to its lighter load. The car in the lane next to me almost hits the base of the table, and the truck in back of that car almost hit that car.

Then further down the road Kevin put on his breaks and slowed down. A large branch had broken off a tree and was in the road.
Kevin's car is that one right in front of me.
That's what it looks like...
Another view
This wasn't as thick as it was on the freeway - thus me feeling comfortable enough to take pictures while driving (shhh...don't tell the cops)
We got home fine. And now it's raining - which usually happens after a dust storm. So moral of the story - dust storms are better to look at rather than drive in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quote of the Week

"We are often left to work out problems, without the dictation or specific direction of the Spirit. That is part of the experience we must have in mortality. Fortunately, we are never out of the Savior's sight, and if our judgement leads us to actions beyond the limits of what is permissible and if we are listening to the still small voice, the Lord will restrain us by the promptings of His Spirit." - Elder Dallin H. Oaks

"We don't have to be perfect today. We don't have to be better than someone else. All we have to do is to be the very best we can." - Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin