18 January 2008

Re: What is our Song?

My friend, Megan, on her blog talked about her and her husband's song. She asked what our song was (well not us personally...but she threw the question out there). Kevin and I don't have a "song" per se. While I was on my mission Kevin put together a compilation CD of songs that he liked. He called it "Cindy's CD"...original I know. But on the CD were some great country love songs. Those songs have a special place in my heart. But there was one song on there that really sticks out on my mind.

Back in September 2003, I was laying on my bed studying for some of my classes. It was in the middle of the afternoon. Kevin was supposed to be at his internship. Anyway, so while I was studying I heard some footsteps and thought it was my mom. I looked up and saw Kevin. He had a bouquet of roses and a bandanna. I asked him what he was doing there. He told me he wanted to surprise me. He put the bandanna over my eyes, and led me downstairs. He put me in his car and he started driving. While we were driving he turned on the song "From Here to Eternity" by Michael Peterson. Here are the lyrics:

I did everything I could to get you here tonight
Without telling you why
Now girl if you only would, please hold out your hand
Just close your eyes
I've been dying to ask you one burning question
Will you be mine?

From here to eternity
I'm asking you to share your life with me
Now and forever I guarantee, I'll always stay by your side
I promise my love to you
I'm willing and able and ready to
Whatever you need
I am here for you, and I'll always be
From here to eternity

I saved a year for this ring
I can't wait to see
How it looks on your hand
I'll give you everything that one woman needs
From a one woman man
I'll be strong I'll be tender a man of my word
I will be yours.

From here to eternity
I'm asking you to share your life with me
Now and forever I guarantee,
I'll always stay by your side
I promise my love to you
I'm willing and able and ready to
Whatever you need
I am here for you, and I'll always be
From here to eternity

So Kevin drove me to our church building, and led me to the pulpit. And...he proposed to me! And you know what happened after that. But it was great to be surprised. It was about the only surprise we had. The day before we had gone to pick out the ring; I had called the San Diego temple to make our appointment for our sealings (yes...before we were actually engaged); and I think we might have even booked our honeymoon already. So it was great to be surprised about "when" Kevin was going to propose to me. So now whenever I hear that song, it makes me think of that moment in Kevin's car four years ago.

2 comments:

Jayson & Megan said...

Oh, that's so cute!

Sally said...

I didn't know this story! I am glad you shared. :-)

Post a Comment

Quote of the Week

"We are often left to work out problems, without the dictation or specific direction of the Spirit. That is part of the experience we must have in mortality. Fortunately, we are never out of the Savior's sight, and if our judgement leads us to actions beyond the limits of what is permissible and if we are listening to the still small voice, the Lord will restrain us by the promptings of His Spirit." - Elder Dallin H. Oaks

"We don't have to be perfect today. We don't have to be better than someone else. All we have to do is to be the very best we can." - Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin