28 January 2008

My Tribute to President Hinckley

So this morning on my way to work, we're listening to the radio, thinking it would be just a regular day. On the talk radio station that we listen to they announced that President Hinckley passed away. I was shocked! He was 97 so we were expecting it to happen sometime, but I was just really surprised when we heard the news.

President Hinckley was "my" prophet. I was almost fifteen when he became the prophet. His example and leadership has influenced my life in a major way. In April 1996, when he was on 60 Minutes he mentioned that we shouldn't drink caffeinated sodas. From that moment on I have not drank any soda with caffeine. Then during my years at Ricks, he gave his famous talk where he introduced his 6B's:

1. Be grateful.
2. Be smart.
3. Be clean.
4. Be true.
5. Be humble.
6. Be prayerful.

In that talk he spoke of wearing earrings: "As for the young women, you do not need to drape rings up and down your ears. One modest pair of earrings is sufficient." So from that day on I took my second pair of earrings out.

I've read his biography a couple of times. He was a very faithful servant of our Heavenly Father. His life is a testament of that. He was blessed that he was able to work for the Church for much of his life. I've tried to shape my life after his example.

He also reminded me of my grandpa.

I will miss President Hinckley very much. It will take some time to get used to not seeing him at conference, but I know that he is serving the Lord elsewhere and that he still has a lot of work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quote of the Week

"We are often left to work out problems, without the dictation or specific direction of the Spirit. That is part of the experience we must have in mortality. Fortunately, we are never out of the Savior's sight, and if our judgement leads us to actions beyond the limits of what is permissible and if we are listening to the still small voice, the Lord will restrain us by the promptings of His Spirit." - Elder Dallin H. Oaks

"We don't have to be perfect today. We don't have to be better than someone else. All we have to do is to be the very best we can." - Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin