15 January 2008

I am a Mormon

Elder Ballard challenged the students at BYU-Hawaii to start using the internet as a missionary tool. So it that spirit I've decided that I needed to bear my testimony of the truthfulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ that is found in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I am a Mormon. You can convict me all you would like. I'm guilty as charged. I have been a member of the Church my whole life. I gained a testimony of it early. Growing up I was around kids who went to Church to socialize. I, on the other hand, went to learn.

I know that Joseph Smith prayed to our Heavenly Father in search of the truth, and that saw God and his Son, Jesus Christ, in answer to his prayer. I know that he was a prophet and restored the Gospel on the earth in this dispensation. If it wasn't for Joseph Smith's humble prayer in 1820 we would not have the truth on the earth again.

I know that Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon, and that this book is true. In my life I have had many experiences where I have found answers to prayers, comfort, and strength from reading from its pages. I am grateful for my junior year seminary teacher who challenged us to read the Book of Mormon for ourselves. I did it and I received my answer that this is a book of God; that it supports the Bible in restoring the truths that were taken away centuries ago.

I know that Heavenly Father is our Father; that He loves us so much. I know that He sent us His Son, Jesus Christ, to this earth to atone for our sins. I know that Christ made it possible for us to return to live with our Father in Heaven again after this life. Christ is the Perfect Example for how we should live our lives while we are here. If we study his life and try to incorporate it into our life, than we will better ourselves.

I know that the Priesthood was restored on this earth. I am so grateful that my husband holds the Priesthood and uses it. Through the Priesthood the keys of the Gospel were restored. We have temples on this earth, where we can perform ordinances by the power of the Priesthood that will help us in our life after this. Through the Priesthood and the Temple we can be sealed as families, to be together for eternity. It has brought the truthfulness back on the earth, when it is needed the most.

The Gospel has brought me so much happiness in my life. It has given me so much freedom. It has shaped my life to follow the Savior and His teachings. Over this last couple of weeks I have had time to think about what being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has done for my life. I don't know where I would be today if I didn't have the Gospel in my life. To any out there that are wondering if this Gospel is true or not, my advice is to try the Lord. Ask him by prayer and by study if this Church is true. I promise you that you will receive an answer. It might not be in the time or the way in which you would like it, but you will receive an answer. Try Moroni's promise:

"Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.

"An when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true: and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it until you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

"And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things." (Moroni 10:3-5)

1 comment:

Jayson & Megan said...

Thank you. I'm proud of you for doing this. We should all be so willing and eager to bear on testimony all of the time!

Post a Comment

Quote of the Week

"We are often left to work out problems, without the dictation or specific direction of the Spirit. That is part of the experience we must have in mortality. Fortunately, we are never out of the Savior's sight, and if our judgement leads us to actions beyond the limits of what is permissible and if we are listening to the still small voice, the Lord will restrain us by the promptings of His Spirit." - Elder Dallin H. Oaks

"We don't have to be perfect today. We don't have to be better than someone else. All we have to do is to be the very best we can." - Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin