So as I have mentioned I served in the Texas San Antonio Mission. Last month I started to create a series of posts to further go into detail of my mission. While I was attempting to do that I pulled out my mission journal to get some clarification on some events...well by doing that I discovered that I needed to type my mission journal because I used a certain color of pen on some days that I know will fade come time.
It's true when people say that not a day goes by that you don't remember something from your mission. Next month it will be five years since I've returned home and each day I've either remembered a face, a street intersection, an experience...it could be the smallest thing, but I always think of something. For a couple of years I didn't have a good view of how my mission went. I was too caught up on feeling ashamed for coming home a little early and for thinking that I wasn't a "good enough" missionary that I started to let it tarnish my whole experience. Shame on me!! Since I've been typing my mission journal I've learned that I was way too hard on myself. I was a good missionary. I strived my hardest to teach Heavenly Father's children and just because I didn't have 100 baptisms or that I didn't serve the full 18 months it doesn't mean that I wasn't a good missionary. I did touch lives. I did help people turn their lives toward Christ! I had the opportunity to meet so many neat people. I learned A LOT from my mission!! I loved being able to work all day serving the Lord!! I became such a stronger person in some aspects.
Lately I've had the opportunity to get back in touch with a couple of people from one of my area's and even one of my companions. It's been great!! I've missed these people so much!! Each of them changed my life in a way that words cannot describe. From hearing the hymn "I Know that My Redeemer Lives" in one of their cars while we were out on exchanges just a couple of days after my grandfather pass away, and hearing the lyrics which comforted me about my loss. To driving with another person down the main drag of Austin on our way to an appointment. To the conversations we had. The Spirit we felt while doing the Lord's work. I will always remember those times.
We had a saying in our mission, "Remember the Alamo." I will always "Remember the Alamo" but I will also always remember the people that I met in Texas and the impact they had on my life!!!! Remember the TSAM!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment