07 June 2009

My trip to Utah...

My trip to Utah started off with a bang...

I met my mom at the airport for our flight to Salt Lake. The flight to Salt Lake was pretty uneventful until we started our decent into the airport. We were told there was some wind and might have a bumpy ride. It was a little bumpy but was pretty mild compared to other flights I had been on. We were almost ready to touch down when the plane started going up again. We were a little confused. Then the pilot came over the speakers and told us that the wind had changed directions by 18o degrees and they weren't able to land, so we would circle around and try again. To the back of us there was a girl who this was her first day on a plane (second flight). When we started circling she said she was going to be sick. We made sure she had barf bags. We thought she was going to be okay...but a couple minutes later she filled her bag. We tried to get the flight attendent's attention but only when we pushed the flight attendant button were we able to get his attention. He disposed of it and sat back down. We started our next attempt at landing. Again we thought we were okay with landing...and then we started going up again. As we were circling again the guy next to me lost it. Then others around us were losing it. The flight attendent just started passing out trash bags and wet paper towels. I started to not feel too good but I knew I wasn't to the point of getting sick. At one point it seemed our plane turned 90 degrees and we were going sideways. It was bumpy and the force of circling was getting to everyone. At the fourth person that got sick we asked the flight attendent if he had ever been on a flight where four people had gotten sick...he said he hadn't. Then two more people in our area got sick. We have no clue how many people in the front of the plane had gotten sick. So on our third attempt at landing we were all a little nervous. And we were very very relieved when the plane's wheels hit the tarmack. When the plane came to a stop everyone cheered and clapped as if we had just watched a play. That was the worst flight I have ever been on. As I was walking off the plane another passenger was talking to someone on the phone and he told them he thought they were going to crash...

So we go and get our rental car and drive to the hotel. We check in and go to our room...and go to sleep for the night.

Next morning I got up really up and drove to Saratoga Springs to see my best friend, Darlene. I ate breakfast with them and was finally able to meet my "nephew" Porter. It was really good to see them and spend some time.

When I left their house I drove back to the hotel to pick up my mom and we headed to the funeral home. When we got there the socializing with my family began. The viewing was before the service. It was nice to see my family. The service was beautiful. Then we headed to the cemetary. We tried using the map they gave us. As I was driving I noticed there were two other vans in back of me following me thinking that I knew the way. Well, I went down the wrong street. As I tried to figure out where to go I led the other two other vans with me. We finally figured out where the cemetary was.

We watched them dedicate the grave. We then visited with family, took pictures, etc.

They were then meeting at a park. My mom and I drove to Iceberg to pick up lunch. We drove to the park and tried to find them, but we couldn't see their cars so we just ate our lunch by the duck pond. We decided to drive around again to see if we could find them...we did. We visited for a little bit. Then we headed to the airport to catch our flight back.

The flight back was uneventful for the most part and we landed on our first attempt...thank goodness!! It was really good to be back home.

I was really really tired and very relieved to see Kevin.

So that was my quick trip to Utah.

I'll be pretty busy with school this week so I might not be able to update much during the week of our doings here.

Until then I hope my posts today will suffice and make up for my silence...

1 comment:

Me said...

Yaaay! I'm glad you had a good trip-except for the landing part in the plane! How awful, I totally would have joined in with the others-when I'm around someone that's throwing up I usually end up joining in. Too bad ur pictures were fuzzy, but I'm glad you had a safe trip and happy that you and mom are home!

Post a Comment

Quote of the Week

"We are often left to work out problems, without the dictation or specific direction of the Spirit. That is part of the experience we must have in mortality. Fortunately, we are never out of the Savior's sight, and if our judgement leads us to actions beyond the limits of what is permissible and if we are listening to the still small voice, the Lord will restrain us by the promptings of His Spirit." - Elder Dallin H. Oaks

"We don't have to be perfect today. We don't have to be better than someone else. All we have to do is to be the very best we can." - Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin